Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Early Notions About Blogging

Whenever I hear a word or phrase my mind's eye begins to concoct images. I suppose that, being a visual artist, it is only natural that I should think in images. For example, when I hear the word "trapdoor spider", I immediately envision David Attenborough poking a stick into a sinister-looking cavity of a tree in a sweltering jungle.  When I hear the word "blog" several visages scamper into mind. 

"I wish I were you." 
  1. A bony, androgynous adolescent with multicolored hair sniffling softly and agonizing over some misfortune. The phrases, "People just don't understand me! Screw life! I WANT TO DIE!" are more often then not followed by accounts of being grounded on account of an unfinished homework assignment or uneaten vegetable matter.
  2. A bespectacled, wavy-haired person sneering into their macbook and sipping a  soy latte. The nature-concerned, vintage thrift store junky occasionally looks up from their blogging to grimace at those bold enough to order actual milk in their drink. The simpletons. "There are so many hormones in milk! I just worry 'cause the cows are so mistreated and stuff. If I was to drink milk, then I'd make sure that I actually know the cow first." 
  3. Julie of Julie and Julia; whining about her weight, her husband, and her job. 

The fourth image in my mind is one that has totally changed my opinion of the self-centered, whiny, dear-diary tone of the bloggosphere has been: 
  1. The hilarious, and exciting travel blogs of Kathleen Sharpe. Kathleen is a blue-eyed, twenty-something fresh out of college with a dazzling personality  and a strange, charming waywardness. Her writing combined with a genuine and fresh naiveté makes one feel as through you are her companion in Kathleen's European escapades. I highly recommend her blogs not only for entertainment and laughs but also for their heart and practical insight.  
  2. The blogs of practical, helpful information concerning health, beauty, travel, fashion and the crown jewel--art. 
My intention is to make this blog for my own pleasure and self-improvement. I also hope that someone else will also find my blog to be insightful, interesting and above all enjoyable.


With much hope for non-whiny future content,
-Yours Truly 

No comments:

Post a Comment